Wednesday, July 28

Goodwill Shirt Tutorial - Resizing

I'm so excited about my new shirt.  

I bought this shirt at Goodwill today for only $.99! 
At the local Goodwill, there is a different colored tag on sale 1/2 off every week.  
Every Wednesday, shirts and shoes with that color are only $.99.  
I bought me a few new tops, some with the Store tags still on them.  

I love the colors, but first, it's HUGE for me, and second, the cut is way wrong.  
No one is shaped like this!

So I decided to try my hand at altering clothes.
Here's what I did.

I then cut off the bottom hem of the new shirt.

1.  I took the shirt and flipped it inside out.  I then took another shirt that fits me and flipped it inside out and laid it on top of my new shirt.  
Shirts are not inside out in the picture, and the hem was not cut off yet in this pic.

Then I outlined the basic form of the old shirt onto one side of the new shirt in pencil (do not trace the sleeves, instead, follow the curve of the sleeve seam.)

I folded the new shirt in half, 
and cut out the new shirt leaving a seam allowance of 1/2 inch outside the lines I drew.


Next, I laid the sleeves from the new shirt out flat, lined up the sleeves from my old shirt with those from the new shirt, matching the top (center).

I then traced that as well, and cut it out. 
Sorry, no pic of it cut out by itself!

Now we get ready to attach the sleeves to the shirt.  
Open up the shirt, with the outside facing you, inside face down.  
Lay a sleeve (outside face down, inside face up) on top of the shirt.
Line up the top center of the sleeve with the shoulder seam of the shirt.
Then pin the shirt and sleeve together.

I went on and did this with both sleeves and then sewed the sleeves to the shirt.

Not too shabby huh?

I then turned my shirt back inside out, and pinned the underside of my sleeves and the sides of my shirt together.

Sew 'em up!  Here's what it looks like now!

Now it's time to add the hem back on!
I cut the hem at it's seam to make one long piece
I then laid it outside face down, inside face up on top of my right side out shirt and pinned it in place.
Sorry, no pics.  Guess I got lazy with the camera.
I pinned the hem to the shirt starting at one side, with the edge about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch beyond the seam of the shirt... so I'd have room to resew the seam in the hem. (did that make sense?)

I then sewed all the way around the hem... Cut my thread, put the shirt back on the sewing machine, and sewed from where I left off to the bottom of the shirt, finishing off the hem.

I trimmed up my seam allowances, so there were no real bulky places and
TA DA!
I had to crop the picture so you couldn't see the ridiculous face I was making.
MY NEW SHIRT!

This experience has changed my "Goodwill" perspective.  
I will now shop differently when I'm there.

Who knows what I'll find/make next time!

No comments: